Thursday, July 11, 2013

Lamb Sliders





Requested again and I'm finally getting "round 2 it".  It wasn't until I saw our recipe published in another newsletter that I felt the boot in my backside.


We all have a few favorite recipes in our collection.  Why do we love one recipe over another?  Is it all about taste?  I think not. Preparation being such a huge part of the creation plays a huge role in my liking a recipe or not.  I've made a few things in my life that tasted good to me but I just didn't enjoy preparing.  If a recipe is too technical or requires too much of my attention it's usually not for me.  Like, puff pastry....why would anyone want to slave over such a process when you can buy such an excellent option as Dalfour?  I know and respect those cooks out there that love the preciseness of such an endeavor it's just not me.   Long story short, you won't find a recipe like that in my collection anywhere.
Some might argue that I love making breads, preserves, and pastries and they require thought.  RightO, but I've learned that with practice you become more adept at these and therefore less thought is required.

So, here you go.  A recipe we've served at many functions, weddings (mine included), art events and just round our table.  Hope you enjoy!
Recipe of the Week
  With summer time comes summer grilling! This week's recipe comes from Olga Elder from Stoney Mountain Farm.

Stoney Mountain Farm Lamb Sliders
1# Ground Lamb
1 link Italian sausage, casing removed
3-4 cloves garlic, grated or minced
¼ C grated onion
½ T cumin
½ t cinnamon
1 t fresh chopped cilantro or ¼ t coriander
1/8 -1/4 t hot pepper flakes
1-2T fresh parsley, chopped
1 egg
½ Cup oatmeal soaked in milk
S&P to taste
Feta or Chevre cheese 

Place all ingredients, except cheese, in a bowl and mix well (I use my hands).  The mix will seem wet.  Form into 1" balls, place on roasting rack or prepare for grill.  Flatten the patty gently, then press dime size ball of cheese into center.  Cover with just enough additional meat mixture that the cheese is sealed in.  Roast in 400 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes or starting to brown.  You can turn to broil if you like a crispier texture.  I also like to grill them.  These are also great regular burger size but the sliders are fun and trendy!
Serve in "slider" rolls now available in most groceries.  "Hawaiian Bread "Slider" rolls are a great option. I serve these with a tomato and onion relish but any one or combo of these would be great.
Experiment; there are many condiments and such that really compliment lamb!  

No comments: